The latest update for Starbound has cause some issues, but in the long run it may of fixed the worlds in a more permanent way. This update will be bringing the ability to add new biomes and make changes to worlds without the possibility of the player losing their world. This is a feature that many Starbound fans have been waiting for. There will likely be one more world wipe sometime in the future when they finalise the universe layout. This won’t include a character/ship wipe, though, and you can still back up your worlds.
A few hours ago, they pushed a second hotfix to Enraged Koala to fix an issue with seats and beds not being interactive. It worked fine in our limited test cases, but then they quickly discovered after pushing from community feedback that it was deleting containers from some preexisting worlds. Some of these were things like the shiplocker and fuelhatch which cannot be legitimately obtained in the game, rendering that ship unplayable.
The only fix for this issue right now is to remove your shipworld and allow the game to regenerate them, or restore from backup if you have one. You will lose the contents of your ship if you do not have a backup.
After this update, Starbound will be able to push content updates as and when they’re completed, rather than waiting for big engine updates to be completed. Updates after this patch will come at a near daily rate.
- Valentine’s Day items including swords, costumes, decorations, bow, etc
- Engine feature, tech can now be granted by armors
- Keybinding reconfiguration, minus the UI (you can reconfigure keys through a config file- check here for a tutorial)
- Server stability fixes for servers with many players
- New death animations
- Engine feature, all objects are now scriptable and interactive
- More Avian weaponry
- Projectile changes
- Dogs can now be captured (lots more pets coming soon)
- A bunch of new items and smaller pieces of content
- New (actually sounds good!) microphone instrument with sounds provided by Smooth McGroove!
- Bug where warping to magma/volcano biomes caused crashing was fixed.
Additional content has been created (new biomes, etc) but will come out just after this patch, as it needs to be adapted to the new content update system.
WARNING: If you have not yet started playing, please make a backup of your ship file, which is located in your steam folder/player/*.shipworld and backups of your world files located in your steam folder/universe/*.world
If you wish to see the new microphone mechanics, check out the video below.