4J Studios has made an announcement about the progress they have made with the upcoming update for the Xbox 360 edition of Minecraft. They have not formally announced an exact release date, We know where the update will be headed to and when. Isn't that enough?
Just hours ago, the studio has confirmed that they have finished writing off the bugs in 1.8.2 update so that it will be ready for Microsoft Certification Test early this week, which means it should be released within 10 days of the submission which basically means at MOST there is 17 days until release.
Here is a brief rundown of what you can expect, but for the full story just click here! This will be the introduction of survival mode to Minecraft, along with the highly anticipated creative mode. There will now be a superflat option and a new armour. The main features are:
- Maximum build height has been increased to 256 (was 128)
- Empty sections of the world are not loaded into memory
- Block ids have been increased to 4096 (was 256) by adding a 4 bit data layer (similar to how meta data is stored)
- Block ordering have been changed from x/z/y to y/z/x in order to improve compression
- Packets for sending chunks have been updated (a full 128-high chunk is smaller than the old format, and a chunk with lots of empty space is much smaller)
- Biomes are saved per x/z column, which means they can be altered by tool
On another note, Congrats to the Minecraft team, the xbox version has passed 4 million sales now. Incredibly impressive!