Mojang has added a new mob in their latest snapshot for Minecraft. Bunnies! Yup, rabbits have made their way on to the blocky planes. Rabbits will generally hop around aimlessly, avoiding players much as ocelots do. Also like ocelots, rabbits will approach players holding carrots but will spook and run away if the player turns too quickly or moves. Rabbits will also find and destroy mature carrot crops, so watch out, farmers!
When hostile, the rabbit will not avoid players, and will attack any player within 4 blocks. When tamed, rabbits will not avoid players and may be bred.
Rabbits may be tamed by attracting it to the player using carrots. Taming a rabbit is likely to take more than one carrot.
The player can only tame rabbits under the following conditions:
- The rabbit must be in "begging for food" mode, characterized by it looking at the player and slowly hopping near to the player.
- Entering "begging" mode requires that the player is within 10 blocks (Euclidean distance).
- If the player is within 6 blocks, the rabbit will exit "begging" mode if the player turns too quickly or moves more than a tiny distance.
- If the player is within 6 blocks when the rabbit starts begging, it is likely to decide the player turned too quickly and stop begging on the next game tick.
- If the rabbit exits "begging" mode, it won't enter it again for about 15 seconds.
- The rabbit must be within 3 blocks of the player.
- When all of the above are met, there is still a 2/3 chance the rabbit will take the carrot without becoming tame. It's possible to tell the difference between the 2/3 failure chance and not meeting the other conditions by whether the rabbit emits smoke particles when fed and by whether it can be fed again immediately.
Rabbits have three known drops. They drop rabbit hides which can be crafted into leather, raw rabbit meat, which can be cooked, and rabbit's feet which can be brewed to create potions of Leaping.
Rabbits will have different skins. Currently, 8 known skins exist.
There is a 1 in 1000 chance that a rabbit will spawn hostile, and attack players who come within four blocks. This rabbit is referred to as "The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog" in the player death screen. This is an easter egg based off of the Rabbit of Caerbannog from the British comedy film, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. In Peaceful difficulty, the killer rabbit will not despawn and will still try to attack players, but will do no damage.
Spawning a Rabbit named 'Toast' using a name tag or renamed Spawn Egg will give the rabbit the skin of Reddit user xyzen420's girlfriend's missing rabbit, as a memorial.