Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Unborn, launched yesterday.
The highly anticipated online role playing game takes place five years after the realm of Eorzea was ravaged by the unleashing of Bahamut, the most powerful of the god-like Primals. As players explore the world and learn more details in the epic storyline, they can hone their skills with the Armoury System. This unique gameplay feature allows characters to change their role, abilities, and skills on-the-fly, without having the need to create multiple characters.
• All the hallmarks of the FINAL FANTASY franchise, including genre-leading graphics and real-time cut scenes, beautiful music, and an immersive story experience
• Band together with your friends to create guild-like “Free Companies” to take on the game’s story-driven adventures
• High level detail and quality of graphics on both the PlayStation®3 system and Windows PC through the new graphics engine
• Flexible class system that allows players to change to any of the 19 different classes on the fly by simply changing their equipped weapon or tool. Players can also unlock 9 different jobs as they advance in level.
• New takes on classic FINAL FANTASY elements like the “Materia” and “Limit Break” systems that originally appeared in FINAL FANTASY VII
• Varied options available for leveling and growing the player’s character − including class quests, main story quests, quick-action “Guildleves and Guildhests” that act as events players can tackle alone or with friends, and exciting “Instanced Dungeons" to raid in search of vast treasures
• Full Active Time Events (FATEs) − unique events that allow for dynamic open world battles and adventures with other players
• Personal companion chocobos for players to ride and fight alongside in battle
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn is now available for $39.99 on the PlayStation 3 and $29.99 for Windows. A free 30-day trial is included for new accounts, with monthly subscriptions starting at $12.99. Check out the trailer and some screenshots below, and, as always, let us know your thoughts in the comments below.